article thumbnail

How to prepare students for the jobs of the future

eSchool News

But, the students of the time filled those new roles, many of them having to teach themselves how to effectively do the functions of each job. A 2018 report by the Institute for the Future (IFTF) said that 85 percent of the jobs that today’s students will do in 2030 don’t exist yet. Well, it will.

How To 118
article thumbnail

How do schools train for a workplace that doesn’t exist yet?

The Hechinger Report

As many as 800 million people worldwide could be displaced and need to find new jobs by 2030. He’s also seen just how fast changes are happening in his own industry, information technology. Managers were the only people who needed to know how to write memos, organize people into teams or give instructions clearly.

Training 111
Insiders

Sign Up for our Newsletter

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Why is it so hard for workers to find new jobs?

The Hechinger Report

What I would worry most about is how to help the longer-term unemployed, who basically haven’t been working since the pandemic started,” said David Deming, professor of public policy at Harvard University and faculty director of the Malcolm Wiener Center for Social Policy. How do we help them get back on their feet?”

Training 140
article thumbnail

Progress in getting underrepresented people into college and skilled jobs may be stalling because of the pandemic

The Hechinger Report

Having to shift to online learning because of the pandemic “has definitely affected our motivation,” said Emmanuella Agyemang, a 16-year-old junior at University Heights High School in the Bronx who plans to go to college and wants to be a journalist. I didn’t even know how to contact my advisor to declare a major.

Survey 140
article thumbnail

Learning Revolution Events - AltEdFilmFest - Homeschool+ - Gaming in Ed Call for Proposals - Open Letter from a Highly Creative Child

The Learning Revolution Has Begun

Volunteering to help moderate sessions is a great way to get to know the presenters and to get better connected with our online learning communities. Each week we interview teachers, principals, superintendents, authors and presenters to learn about how to become more effective educators! Please sign up to volunteer here.

eBook 48
article thumbnail

Learning Revolution Events - Future of Museums Events Are This Week - AltEdFilmFest - Homeschooling - Gaming in Ed

The Learning Revolution Has Begun

Attendees can expect to learn best practices to implement in their museums, and will hear real-world examples of innovative practices in the field. Each week we interview teachers, principals, superintendents, authors and presenters to learn about how to become more effective educators!

article thumbnail

Hack Education Weekly News

Hack Education

” “How to Ungrade ” by UMW’s Jesse Stommel. Lumen Learning's David Wiley responds , with more words than the original post.). A new report from the Network for Public Education : “ Online Learning : What Every Parent Should Know.” .” Not sponsored content?