5 Reasons to Try a Whole Novel Approach in Your Classroom

The CoolCatTeacher

Ariel Sacks, author of Whole Novels for the Whole Class , shares five reasons to try a whole novel approach. She also explains how this approach works and some advantages for teachers. To learn more about Wriq go to www.texthelp.com/wriq. And trying to support that.

How To 290

How to pave the way for innovation in the classroom

Neo LMS

People, as the superior beings the are, are supposed to build upon the collective knowledge of everyone that ever lived and come up with innovative ideas to make the world a better place. A few ways to nurture innovation in the classroom.

How To 254

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Live Interview on Thursday, Jan. 20 - Barnet Berry on Teaching 2030

The Learning Revolution Has Begun

Join me Thursday, January 20th, for a live and interactive FutureofEducation.com webinar with Barnett Berry on new book, Teaching 2030: What We Must Do for Our Students and Our Public Schools--Now and in the Future. "In

How Much Artificial Intelligence Should There Be in the Classroom?

Edsurge

And if the answer is yes, what’s the right mix of human and machine in the classroom? To get a fresh perspective on that question, this episode we take you to China, where a couple of us from EdSurge recently traveled for a reporting trip. Speaking to a crowd of some 2,000 attendees, he said, quote, “If our children are educated by AI teachers, then their potential can be fully realized.” Listen to the EdSurge On Air podcast? We want to hear from you!

Digital K-12 Classroom Online Summit | Feb 21-23, 2020

EdTechnocation.com

for February 21-23, 2020 for the Collaboration in the Digital K-12 Classroom online summit ! You won't want to miss these pre-recorded sessions from more than 50 presenters (I'm a Keynote!) It is FREE to attend during the three days. Put this in your calendar ??

A Great Way To Use Tech To Help Teachers Meaningfully Engage With Families

EdTech4Beginners

Strong parent-teacher partnerships are key to student success in the classroom. When teachers and parents are in regular contact about students’ needs, progress, and successes, students feel supported and motivated to try their best in school.

Can Creativity Be Taught?

Digital Promise

According to the Future of Jobs Report by the World Economic Forum, creativity is one of the top three most important skills for future workers, along with complex problem solving and critical thinking. Experts agree that creativity is critical to success in the future. If so, how?

Survey Says: Parents Think Tech Companies Should Help Build Kids’ Digital Skills

Edsurge

As the debate about children’s screen time continues to rage , a new survey commissioned by Microsoft sheds some light on where parents stand. For one, the poll of about 1,000 parents with kids under the age of 18—conducted by public opinion and data company YouGov—found that parents have more positive feelings about their kids using tech in the classroom, as opposed to at home. But to help kids work on those digital skills, parents want the government to get more involved.

Survey 126

The Irreplaceables: What AR and AI Mean for the Future of Teaching #iste18

The CoolCatTeacher

Today, we seek to answer this question. Welcome to Cafe Futura. Yes, I feel like something good, and we’ve got a coupla hours,” you say to the AI, which hears your voice through the microphone in your glasses. How does this vision of an AI/AR future apply to education?

How do schools train for a workplace that doesn’t exist yet?

The Hechinger Report

Jobs in information technology are growing quickly and employers are trying to find ways to get kids excited about careers in the field. He asks: Not knowing what tasks will be automated or what future jobs will look like, how do schools train for a workplace that does not yet exist?

10 Ways Interactive Touch Screen Displays Improve Education

ViewSonic Education

There’s no one-size-fits-all answer for ideal classroom display solutions. Most classrooms benefit (hugely) from at least one interactive touch screen display. Many find that more than one display is ideal for flexible classrooms that maximize active learning. Easy to Use.

3 Things Great Teachers Do

The CoolCatTeacher

Check out the free resource: Goodbye Teacher Tired: 5 Days to Doing Fewer Things Better from Angela Watson. Listen to the show on iTunes or Stitcher. He does a lot of work with NNSTOY, and he is actually a full time classroom teacher teaching creativity and innovation.

3 Things Great Teachers Do

The CoolCatTeacher

They’re doing awesome things to drive inquiry-based learning. It is a perfect inquiry-based tool you can use in your classroom and with your students. Go to coolcatteacher.com/discover and get started for free. Listen to the show on iTunes or Stitcher.

How Do You Prepare Students for Jobs That Don’t Exist Yet? Karen Cator Has Some Ideas.

Edsurge

What if the job they aspire to today is no longer an option when it comes time to graduate? How can they train for jobs that don’t even exist yet? On the other side of that equation are educators, who often draw from their own learning experiences in K-12 and higher education to inform their instruction. EdSurge recently sat down with Karen Cator, the CEO of Digital Promise, to get her take. We hear about machines being able to read x-rays.

Who will help teachers rescue the 800 million people who can’t read or write?

The Hechinger Report

The statistics on worldwide illiteracy are overwhelming — nearly 800 million people (or roughly one in five worldwide) are considered illiterate, according to UNESCO. Related: How to help principals do a better job? What can we do to advance literacy leadership?

What Service-Learning and Global Goals Taught Us About Promoting the Greater Good

Edsurge

Service-learning PD, Image Credit: Weaver Elementary School Last April, the entire faculty at Bettie Weaver Elementary School spent an afternoon making rice heating pads for local elderly residents, capes for foster children to help endure long hospital stays and jump ropes braided out of plastic bags that were later given to schools in Haiti by three of our teachers. Concerns about how to manage to-do lists faded and compliance was no longer the reason for showing up.

Out of poverty, into the middle class

The Hechinger Report

His dream is to become a business owner. Editor’s note: This story is part of Map to the Middle Class , a Hechinger Report series exploring how schools can prepare young people for the good middle-class jobs of the future. I hate coming to school. The skills to thrive.

The 2019 Global Education Conference - Full List of 130 Sessions and 10 Keynotes!

The Learning Revolution Has Begun

Click here to register to attend the conference live or to have access to the conference recordings afterwards. Currently accepted regular sessions with links to their descriptions are immediately below. Go to [link] 4. Prior to her assignment in the U.S.,

Change Agents: Tech & Learning’s Most Influential People in EdTech In 2018

techlearning

Each of these leaders is working in thoughtful and creative ways on the frontlines of some of today’s most pressing issues—from the way we think about learning, AI, and innovation to gun control, refugees, and student privacy. Change has to be made now.”

Hack Education Weekly News

Hack Education

Each week, I gather a wide variety of links to education and education technology articles. ESPN turns to a real expert here : “Shaquille O’Neal says more cops is answer to school shootings.” opens door for student loan companies to ignore state authority.”

MOOC 70

Hack Education Weekly News

Hack Education

Each week, I gather a wide variety of links to education and education technology articles. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos to the House Education and the Workforce Committee.” Department of Education Announces Opportunity for Federal Student Loan Borrowers to be Reconsidered for Public Service Loan Forgiveness.” Via NPR : “ Education Department Launches ‘Top-To-Bottom’ Review Of Teachers’ Grant Program.” Economy by 2030.”

MOOC 54

Hack Education Weekly News

Hack Education

Via PR Watch : “ Betsy DeVos Ethics Report Reveals Ties to Student Debt Collection Firm.” Via Wired : “The Senate Prepares to Send Internet Privacy Down a Black Hole.” ” Via The Atlantic : “How Betsy DeVo s Could End the School-Integration Comeback.” Via Edsurge : “How Former NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg ’s iZone Went from ‘Cool’ to Cold.” ” Honestly, I can’t even bear to look.

Hack Education Weekly News

Hack Education

“ President Trump Earmarks $200 Million in Federal Grants for STEM , Computer Science Programs ,” says Edsurge , later swooning that “ Google , Facebook , Amazon Among Tech Titans Committing $300 Million to K–12 Computer Science.” ” “Amazon, Facebook and others in tech will commit $300 million to the White House's new computer science push,” says Recode. Department of Education Awards $253 Million in Grants to Expand Charter Schools.”

Hack Education Weekly News

Hack Education

If you’re going to decry “ fake news ,” then you best not be sharing it. If you’re going to talk about the importance of digital literacy or information literacy or media literacy or what have you, then you best practice it. Or did you just want a story to confirm your gut feelings that she should hit the road? Anyway, as Matt Barnum writes , “ No, there’s no reason to think DeVos is planning to resign, contrary to viral news stories.”

Learning Revolution Events - AltEdFilmFest - Homeschool+ - Gaming in Ed Call for Proposals - Open Letter from a Highly Creative Child

The Learning Revolution Has Begun

The Learning Revolution Weekly Update August 5th, 2014 One of the reasons people stop learning is that they become less and less willing to risk failure. The Internet is shifting the boundaries of these worlds, and we believe that as they increasingly overlap and integrate these conversations will be critical to framing and preparing for the learning revolution starting to take place. To subscribe to this newsletter, please sign up at the Learning Revolution.

eBook 41

Learning Revolution Events - Future of Museums Events Are This Week - AltEdFilmFest - Homeschooling - Gaming in Ed

The Learning Revolution Has Begun

Every individual has a role to play. The Internet is shifting the boundaries of these worlds, and we believe that as they increasingly overlap and integrate these conversations will be critical to framing and preparing for the learning revolution starting to take place. To subscribe to this newsletter, please sign up at the Learning Revolution. We are looking forward to these fun events, and to your participation. Are you planning to attend?