How to prepare students for the unknowable

eSchool News

But will Gen Z—those born after 1996 and just beginning to think about their careers—be prepared with the essential skills to succeed? Now more than ever before, educators have the opportunity and the imperative to engage students in learning tasks that ask them to think critically and problem-solve. It’s clear that the way we engage students in the learning process needs to change. The workforce is on the cusp of a major evolution.

Live Interview on Thursday, Jan. 20 - Barnet Berry on Teaching 2030

The Learning Revolution Has Begun

Join me Thursday, January 20th, for a live and interactive FutureofEducation.com webinar with Barnett Berry on new book, Teaching 2030: What We Must Do for Our Students and Our Public Schools--Now and in the Future. "In In the raging controversy over the purpose of public education and how to fix the nation''s underperforming schools, the voices of America''s best teachers are seldom heard. To make sure that your computer is configured for Elluminate, please visit [link].

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

How do schools train for a workplace that doesn’t exist yet?

The Hechinger Report

Jobs in information technology are growing quickly and employers are trying to find ways to get kids excited about careers in the field. This story is part of our Map to the Middle Class project , where we ask readers what they want us to investigate about educational pathways to financial stability. He asks: Not knowing what tasks will be automated or what future jobs will look like, how do schools train for a workplace that does not yet exist?

Looking for a Summer Volunteer Opportunity?

Ask a Tech Teacher

Mysimpleshow is aligned with simpleshow foundation , a non-profit organization dedicated to educating the world. Using [the online tool] mysimpleshow, volunteers are encouraged to explain details and background of these 17 Global Goals of the Agenda 2030 in short and entertaining explainer videos. The program allows volunteers of all ages to gain a better grasp of the Agenda’s topics and help create a public understanding of the importance of these goals.

K–12 Educators Embrace Ingenuity and Adaptation to Prepare Students for the Future

EdTech Magazine

K–12 Educators Embrace Ingenuity and Adaptation to Prepare Students for the Future. Figuring out the best way to prepare the next generation of students often feels like aiming at a moving target. . It’s also close to home for educators, who are tasked with preparing the next generation of professionals. How do we set them up for success in a world that we ourselves can only begin to imagine ?

Home visiting in high school: Trying an intervention for toddlers on teenagers

The Hechinger Report

Cannon doesn’t hesitate: She wants him to finish high school, get a job and maybe go to college. “I I want you to have better things than I ever had,” Cannon tells her son. You don’t want to live on a check monthly by monthly. You don’t want to do that. That’s not what the two women want to hear. West Virginia unveiled a campaign this year for 60 percent of adults ages 25 to 64 to have earned a degree or certificate by 2030.

Can Creativity Be Taught?

Digital Promise

According to the Future of Jobs Report by the World Economic Forum, creativity is one of the top three most important skills for future workers, along with complex problem solving and critical thinking. In fact, 85 percent of the jobs that will exist in 2030 haven’t even been invented yet, says a report by the Institute for the Future and a panel of 20 tech, business, and academic experts from around the world. If so, how?

Kinders Can Code — Featuring the Voices of Lisa Guardino & Shea Smith

CUE

But soon after October’s CUE Primary in San Jose, CA, a new adventure made its way to sacred circle time – programming BeeBot Robots. The BeeBot is a small, friendly robot that the students can learn to program. As Tech TOSAs, we are tasked with helping to meaningfully integrate technology into our seven sites. We asked our Kindergarten teachers what they were currently working on and how we might incorporate the robots. Littles are not to be underestimated.

The changing geography of work: a new report

Bryan Alexander

How will a changing economy redistribute jobs and economic growth in the United States? McKinsey just published a new report, “The future of work in America: People and places, today and tomorrow” ( summary ; longer document ), looking ahead to 2030 after new technologies have had some impact. Its thesis is that we’ll probably see urban areas that are economically growing now continue to do well, while a large chunk of America will stagnate or fall behind.

Memorization is Not a Bad Thing

The Principal of Change

Here is a scenario: The year is 2030, and you are having a conversation at a dinner party. You quickly check out of the conversation and go to your mobile device (it is totally going to be called something else but bear with me) to figure out what people are talking about because your school was against memorization of anything because you could just “Google” it. How boring is that? Do you need to memorize something before you understand it?

How Do You Prepare Students for Jobs That Don’t Exist Yet? Karen Cator Has Some Ideas.

Edsurge

What if the job they aspire to today is no longer an option when it comes time to graduate? How can they train for jobs that don’t even exist yet? On the other side of that equation are educators, who often draw from their own learning experiences in K-12 and higher education to inform their instruction. EdSurge recently sat down with Karen Cator, the CEO of Digital Promise, to get her take. We hear about machines being able to read x-rays.

10 Ways Interactive Touch Screen Displays Improve Education

ViewSonic Education

Interactive touch screen displays have an inherent ability to bolster active learning. It’s one of the greatest advantages these dynamic devices bring to the classroom. That it works so well should come as no surprise to seasoned educators. It’s an ideal way to brainstorm. Have a process to demonstrate? Step up to the interactive touch screen and diagram it out. Annotate on top of slides to highlight key points. Easy to Implement.

TalentFound Helps Communities Find Success

Mindspark Learning

TalentFound Helps Communities Find Success Demand for higher cognitive skills, such as creativity, critical thinking, decision making and complex information processing, is expected to grow by 19% in the United States and 14% in Europe by 2030, according to a recent report by McKinsey and Company. The education system, and specifically highly-qualified educators, continue to be the lever for developing these essential skills in students.

Is California saving higher education?

The Hechinger Report

Juggling a major in international business and a minor in Japanese, Deas fell behind on her path to graduation until the university offered her a grant to help her make the final sprint. “It Jaelyn Deas and her four best friends shared everything, including late-night study sessions in the library at San Jose State University and a never-ending preoccupation with how they’d pay for their tuition there. She considered quitting, or transferring to a community college.

Bryan Alexander

Michelle Weise: ‘We Need to Design the Learning Ecosystem of the Future’

Edsurge

Here’s something ridiculous for you: Futurists and experts on aging and longevity are now suggesting that the first people to live to be 150 years old have already been born. That is a long time to live—and work. We’ll have to prepare students for work that doesn’t exist yet. How many new jobs that don’t exist today will a person have during a 150-year lifespan? Our systems are not set up for students to navigate just-in-time learning pathways.

Udemy 122

Digital K-12 Classroom Online Summit | Feb 21-23, 2020

EdTechnocation.com

You won't want to miss these pre-recorded sessions from more than 50 presenters (I'm a Keynote!) The Collaboration in the Digital K-12 Classroom Online Summit is a global online only event brings together innovative global educators to share and explore best digital classroom practices that initiate collaboration, help students achieve higher academic results, and develop 21st-century thinking skills. Recordings of the event are available for purchase (All-Access Pass) !

LMS 31

“The world has become my classroom! Skype has become my window to the world!” – Kristine Holloway, Canada

Daily Edventures

This year, her classroom has focused on finding solutions to the UN 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. And the tool that has become invaluable to their work? Through Skype in the Classroom I can connect my class to other students and experts from around the world,” Holloway shares with us. “We We also use Skype for sharing ideas and to collaborate on global projects. Skype in the Classroom is my favorite tech tool to empower my students to achieve more.”.

Who will help teachers rescue the 800 million people who can’t read or write?

The Hechinger Report

The statistics on worldwide illiteracy are overwhelming — nearly 800 million people (or roughly one in five worldwide) are considered illiterate, according to UNESCO. In the United States alone , 45 million people are functionally illiterate and read below a fifth grade level, with 32 million of those unable to read at all. Related: How to help principals do a better job? Countless individuals, organizations, and companies are working to address this issue.

What Service-Learning and Global Goals Taught Us About Promoting the Greater Good

Edsurge

Service-learning PD, Image Credit: Weaver Elementary School Last April, the entire faculty at Bettie Weaver Elementary School spent an afternoon making rice heating pads for local elderly residents, capes for foster children to help endure long hospital stays and jump ropes braided out of plastic bags that were later given to schools in Haiti by three of our teachers. Concerns about how to manage to-do lists faded and compliance was no longer the reason for showing up.

Really Fun Lineup So Far For This Year's FutureofEducation.com Interview Series

The Learning Revolution Has Begun

I''m really enjoying how well the lineup for the FutureofEducation.com interview series is shaping up this year. All of the events are live and free to attend, and recordings (both.mp3 and full Elluminate) are usually posted within a day. Recordings of all past shows can also be accessed at the site!

Change Agents: Tech & Learning?s Most Influential People in EdTech In 2018

techlearning

Each of these leaders is working in thoughtful and creative ways on the frontlines of some of today’s most pressing issues—from the way we think about learning, AI, and innovation to gun control, refugees, and student privacy. Hoth is cofounder and president of Students Speak Up (SSU), a nonprofit formed through the power of technology to promote civic engagement among youth to empower them to speak up to change gun laws. Change has to be made now.”

The 2019 Global Education Conference - Full List of 130 Sessions and 10 Keynotes!

The Learning Revolution Has Begun

Click here to register to attend the conference live or to have access to the conference recordings afterwards. It is designed to significantly increase opportunities for building education-related connections around the globe while supporting cultural awareness and recognition of diversity. Currently accepted regular sessions with links to their descriptions are immediately below. Go to [link] 4. There is still time to be a partner/sponsor.

Learning Revolution Events - Future of Museums Events Are This Week - AltEdFilmFest - Homeschooling - Gaming in Ed

The Learning Revolution Has Begun

Every individual has a role to play. The Internet is shifting the boundaries of these worlds, and we believe that as they increasingly overlap and integrate these conversations will be critical to framing and preparing for the learning revolution starting to take place. To subscribe to this newsletter, please sign up at the Learning Revolution. We are looking forward to these fun events, and to your participation. Are you planning to attend?

Hack Education Weekly News

Hack Education

Each week, I gather a wide variety of links to education and education technology articles. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos to the House Education and the Workforce Committee.” Department of Education Announces Opportunity for Federal Student Loan Borrowers to be Reconsidered for Public Service Loan Forgiveness.” Via NPR : “ Education Department Launches ‘Top-To-Bottom’ Review Of Teachers’ Grant Program.” Economy by 2030.”

MOOC 44

Hack Education Weekly News

Hack Education

“ President Trump Earmarks $200 Million in Federal Grants for STEM , Computer Science Programs ,” says Edsurge , later swooning that “ Google , Facebook , Amazon Among Tech Titans Committing $300 Million to K–12 Computer Science.” ” “Amazon, Facebook and others in tech will commit $300 million to the White House's new computer science push,” says Recode. Department of Education Awards $253 Million in Grants to Expand Charter Schools.”

Hack Education Weekly News

Hack Education

Via PR Watch : “ Betsy DeVos Ethics Report Reveals Ties to Student Debt Collection Firm.” Via Wired : “The Senate Prepares to Send Internet Privacy Down a Black Hole.” ” Via The Atlantic : “How Betsy DeVo s Could End the School-Integration Comeback.” Via Edsurge : “How Former NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg ’s iZone Went from ‘Cool’ to Cold.” ” Honestly, I can’t even bear to look.

Hack Education Weekly News

Hack Education

If you’re going to decry “ fake news ,” then you best not be sharing it. If you’re going to talk about the importance of digital literacy or information literacy or media literacy or what have you, then you best practice it. Or did you just want a story to confirm your gut feelings that she should hit the road? Anyway, as Matt Barnum writes , “ No, there’s no reason to think DeVos is planning to resign, contrary to viral news stories.”